- 2 lb fresh tomatoes (or 10-12 smallish)
- 0-4 sweet peppers, any color (depends how much you like sweet pepper taste in your sauce)
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- couple of dollops of balsamic glaze (or, substitute balsamic vinegar and honey to taste)
- garlic (a few cloves, to taste)
- salt to taste (no more than a tsp)
- Fresh basil and/or oregano (to taste)
- Optional: 1-2 jalapenos or other hot peppers
- Rinse and cut tomatoes in half, removing any stem. Drop into a large ziplock bag.
- Rinse and cut sweet peppers in half, removing seeds. Add to bag.
- If you like a spicier sauce, add jalapeno peppers (halved--leave seeds in for even spicier)
- Peel and cut onion in quarters. Add to bag.
- Peel and cut up garlic and add to the bag
- Add olive oil to the bag (lightly coat as if for a salad; precise measurement not important)
- Add balsamic glaze to the bag (or, a few splashes of vineger and swirls of honey)
- Salt mixture. Seal bag and squish around to mix.
- Empty bag into a roasting pan (don't cover)
- Roast at 250 F for 4-6 hours (no need to preheat). If you want to do it for less than 4 hours, cook at 285 F.
- Empty vegetables into a heavy saucepan; blend with immersion blender until smooth.
- Add herbs to taste